Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Back to Butter



I had never thought too much about Madeleines, delightful cookies that they are, until I found a Madeleine tray at my favorite thrift shop. I was first attracted to it because of the beautiful metal shape. I later found out that the cookie was quite delicious as well. It includes a good amount of butter, which of course makes me drawn to it all the more.

(I realize with all my butter talk one may peg me with a stage 5 Paula Deen-style fetish. I guess I am asking for it. I will concede that Paula & I have a lot in common, except for a few notable exceptions: She has better teeth, and once threw the opening pitch at a Washington Nationals baseball game. I've never done that. But yes, other than that, people often cannot tell us apart. It's actually one of our favorite party tricks!)

                 To make a proper Madeleine (I have also seen it referred to as a French Butter Cookie!) you need a tray:
                                                                                 Isn't it pretty?


I have all my favorite recipe's written out in my cookbook, a gift given to me by my wonderful college roommate Sierra. We Tree House ladies loved to cook, and spent most of our time together in the kitchen, either cooking or sitting on the floor drinking wine while watching someone else cook. As a gift to all of us, she collected the recipes of our house specialties and printed them out in a spiral bound book. One of my favorite gifts.

 

(pardon the misspelling...)



Recipe taken from allrecipes.com

Madeleines

2 medium eggs
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. Lemon zest (I have also used orange zest and loved it)
1 c. powdered sugar
¾ c. sifted flour
¼ tsp. Baking powder
pinch of salt
½ c. butter melted, cooled



In a medium bowl beat eggs, vanilla and lemon zest with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes.
Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Beat for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick and satiny.

Sift together the flour and baking powder. Sift one-fourth of the flour mixture over the egg mixture,
gently fold in. Fold in the remaining flour by fourths. Then fold in the melted and cooled butter.
Spoon batter into the prepared molds, filling 3/4 full.


*from my experience make sure the molds are well greased and floured!

Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are golden and the top s spring back. Cool in molds on a rack for 1 minute. Loosen cookies with a knife. Invert cookies onto a rack and cool. Sift confectioners' sugar over the tops or melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and dip the tips in the chocolate.




Enjoy with a cup of coffee!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment